Big White Wall
Big White Wall offers free help and advice to UK serving personnel, anyone who has ever served in the regular or reserve forces, and their families. For more information visit the Big White Wall website.
Armed forces events
Here are some of the events that have been planned for the centenary:
Details about events commemorating WW1 can be found on our events calendar.
If you want to get more involved and help your community remember, please contact Liz Tredget at Voluntary Action Maidstone.
If you would like to organise an event in the community to commemorate the centenary, Historical Promotions and Event Management would like to help. For more information, have a look at their website.
Community Covenants are a voluntary statement of mutual support between a civilian community and its local Armed Forces Community.
They are intended to complement at a local level, the Armed Forces Covenant which is the moral obligation that exists between the nation, the government and the armed forces and sets out the actions being taken by central government.
The aims of an Armed Forces Community Covenant is to:
- Encourage local communities to support the Armed Forces Community in their area and vice versa
- Nurture public understanding and awareness among the public of issues affecting the Armed Forces community
- Recognise and remember the sacrifices faced by the Armed Forces Community
- Encourage activities which help to integrate the Armed Forces community into local life
- Encourage the Armed Forces community to help and support the wider community, whether through participation in events and joint projects, or other forms of engagement
The Armed Forces Community Covenant for the borough was signed in October 2012.
Rewards for Forces
Rewards For Forces is the UK's largest discount and benefits website for members of the Armed Forces, Veterans and partners of those who have served or are serving. It is free to join, and offers discounts locally and nationally. For more information, visit the Rewards For Forces website.