Test and Trace Support Payments

From 28 September 2020, If you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus COVID-19 or you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you may be entitled to some financial support during your self-isolation period.

What are Test and Trace Support Payments?

A Test and Trace Support Payment, also referred to as a Self-Isolation Payment is a one off payment to help support people on low income who are unable to work and have a reduction in income because they are legally required to self isolate.

People who are eligible will receive a lump sum payment of £500.

Who is eligible?

People who live in the borough of Maidstone who have received notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate will be entitled to a Test and Trace Support Payment (Self Isolation Payment) of £500 if they:

  • Comply with the notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate
  • Have an NHS Test and Trace Account ID (Issued to you by the NHS when you are instructed to isolate)
  • Are employed or self-employed
  • Are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result of self isolating
  • Are currently receiving either Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.
  • Are applying within 14 days from the end of their isolation period.

Who is not eligible?

You will not be eligible for the scheme if you:

  • Are quarantining after travelling abroad (unless you test positive during the 14-day quarantine period).
  • Continue to receive full wages while you self-isolate.
  • Can work from home during a period of self-isolation.
  • Your self isolation period started before 28 September 2020
  • Have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate.
  • Are applying more than 14 days after the end of your self-isolation period.

If you do not meet the main qualifying criteria for a Test and Trace Support Payment but are experiencing exceptional hardship please contact us

Before you start

You will need the following information to complete this form:

  • Your 8-digit NHS Test and Trace reference;
  • A copy of the NHS Test and Trace notification you received. This can be a photo of the letter or email, but it must clearly show the date you received the notification and the Test and Trace ID
  • A copy of your latest bank statement (one issued within the last two months which must clearly show proof of earnings);
  • Proof of employment e.g. your latest payslip
  • Proof of self-employment e.g. recent business bank statement (within the last two months), most recent set of accounts or evidence of self-assessment returns;
  • Your National Insurance Number

Start your application

Other Support

Details of the other support available can be found on our self-isolation page


You may face prosecution if you have manipulated or falsified your position in order to obtain these payments, including failure to self-isolate which puts others at risk. Any payment made as a result of fraud may be subject to claw back, as may any grants paid in error.

The Government is supporting Local Councils to make the necessary checks to ensure payments can be verified and have been made correctly.

Data Sharing

As part of your claim, the information you provide us with will be matched with other data held by the Council as well as third parties, this includes NHS Test and Trace (CTAS) and the DWP.

We will also need to provide information to HMRC about any payments we make, as, where applicable, the payments are subject to Income Tax. If you are self-employed, you need to declare the payment on your self-assessment tax return.

To enable us to prevent or detect crime, to protect public funds and to help protect public health your information may be shared with third parties, including but not limited to:

  • Police
  • Environmental Health
  • Immigration Service, Absconder Services and/or UK Border Agency
  • Health and Social Care organisations
  • Other Local Authorities

Read our Test and Trace Support Payment privacy notice