Universal Credit

Universal Credit is now available in the Maidstone Borough Council area.

Help with rent costs

From 21 November 2018 the rules for claiming Housing Benefit have changed if you are working age (18 to 65) and would like help with your rent costs.

You can no longer claim housing benefit from the council unless you:

  • Live in Temporary Accommodation provided by the council
  • Live in Supported Accommodation

In all other cases you will have to claim help with your rent costs as part of a Universal Credit claim with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).