Contact your Parish Council
you wish to refer any decisions contained in these minutes to Policy and Resources
Committee, please submit a Decision Referral Form, signed by three
Councillors, to the Head of Policy, Communications and Governance by: 16
Should you wish to refer any decisions contained in these minutes to Policy and Resources Committee, please submit a Decision Referral Form, signed by three Councillors, to the Head of Policy, Communications and Governance by: 16 July 2019.
MAIDSTONE BOROUGH COUNCIL
ECONOMIC REGENERATION AND LEISURE COMMITTEE
Minutes of the meeting held on Tuesday 2 July 2019
Councillors Mrs Blackmore, Brindle, Mrs Gooch, Harper (Chairman), Harvey, Lewins and Webb
Councillor M Rose
Apologies for absence were received from:
· Councillor Cox
· Councillor Cuming
· Councillor B Hinder
It was noted that the following Substitute Members were present:
· Councillor Harvey for Councillor Cox
· Councillor Brindle for Councillor B Hinder
The Chairman informed the Committee that he had agreed to take an urgent update to Item 13. Outside Body Report 2019/20. The reason for urgency was that a nomination for a vacant position had been received after the publication of the agenda, and appointments to Outside Bodies were to be made as soon as possible.
It was noted that Councillor M Rose was present as a Visiting Member, and indicated that she wished to speak on Item 13. Outside Body Report 2019/20.
There were no disclosures by Members or Officers.
There were no disclosures of lobbying.
RESOLVED: That all items be taken in public as proposed.
RESOLVED: That the minutes of the meeting held on 4 June 2019 be approved as a correct record and signed.
There were no petitions.
There were no questions from members of the public.
The Head of Regeneration and Economic Development informed the Committee that amendments to the Work Programme were required:
· “Museums - Agreeing the 'Story of Maidstone'” was to be removed as the topic was included within the “Options Report for the Gallery Transformation Project at the Museum”.
· “Sports Provision Review - Project Timeline Approval” was to be removed, as this was encompassed within the “Delivery Programme for the Sports/Leisure Review”.
· “Festival and Events Strategy” was to be scheduled for 26 November 2019.
Furthermore, the Head of Regeneration and Economic Development explained that work associated with the Sports/Leisure Review was to be rebranded as “Making Maidstone More Active”, in order to better reflect the desired outcome of the work.
RESOLVED: That the Committee Work Programme be noted, as amended.
The Committee thanked the report authors for their reports.
RESOLVED: That the Reports of Outside Bodies be noted.
The Democratic Services Officer outlined that the report summarised Outside Bodies that were within the remit of the Economic Regeneration and Leisure Committee. It was stated that some Councillors had time remaining on their terms of office, having previously been appointed as Council Representatives, while other Councillors had been automatically appointed for the 2019/20 municipal year. The following nominations had been received for vacant positions:
· Councillor English for the Collis Millennium Green Trust.
· Councillors W Hinder and Khadka for the Maidstone Twinning Association.
· Councillor M Rose for the Maidstone Area Arts Partnership.
Councillor M Rose addressed the Committee as a Visiting Member.
The Committee noted that there were outstanding vacancies on the Brenchley Charity and Maidstone Area Arts Partnership. Following an explanation of the remit of the Brenchley Charity, Councillor Brindle stated that she wished to be considered for the role of Council Representative on the organisation. The Committee commented that the vacancy on the Maidstone Area Arts Partnership was closely linked to the “Draft Arts and Cultural Plan for the Borough” item that was to be considered in September 2019. Therefore, the Committee would consider options for filling this vacancy over the Summer.
1. The current Council Representatives be noted.
2. Councillor English be appointed as a Council Representative on the Collis Millennium Green Trust.
3. Councillor W Hinder be appointed as a Council Representative on the Maidstone Twinning Association.
4. Councillor Khadka be appointed as a Council Representative on the Maidstone Twinning Association.
5. Councillor M Rose be appointed as a Council Representative on the Maidstone Area Arts Partnership.
6. Councillor Brindle be appointed as a Council Representative on the Brenchley Charity.
The Head of Regeneration and Economic Development explained that following the resolution of the Economic Regeneration and Leisure Committee on 4 June 2019, the motion had been redrafted in consultation with the Chairman and Vice-Chairman of the Committee.
The Committee noted that although the motion raised key topics for consideration, it did not represent the full extent of the brief that would be used to conduct a tendering exercise.
In response to a question from the Committee, the Head of Regeneration and Economic Development said that stakeholder engagement and consultation exercises would be undertaken during the tendering process. This presented an opportunity for the Committee to provide feedback.
RESOLVED: That the redrafted Economic Development motion be agreed for consideration during the review of the Economic Development Strategy.
6.31 p.m. to 6.56 p.m.