14/504795 - ERECTION OF 30 NO. OPEN MARKET HOMES AND ASSOCIATED GARAGING, AND ERECTION OF 20 NO. AFFORDABLE HOMES, CONSTRUCTION OF ACCESS ROAD AND BRIDGE, AND PROVISION OF OPEN SPACE, ECOLOGY PARK AND NEW PUBLIC FOOTPATH. DEMOLITION OF 24 BAY GARAGE COURT AND REDEVELOPMENT TO PROVIDE A 16 BAY GARAGE COURT AND AMENITY STOREROOM - LAND TO THE SOUTH OF CROSS KEYS, BEARSTED, KENT
- Meeting of Planning Committee, Thursday 16th April, 2015 6.00 pm (Item 327.)
- View the background to item 327.
All Members stated that they had been lobbied.
The Committee considered the report and the urgent update report of the Head of Planning and Development.
Mr Vidler of the Bearsted and Thurnham Amenity Society (against), Councillor Spooner of Bearsted Parish Council (against), Mr Osborne, for the applicant, and Councillors Springett and Cuming (Visiting Members) (against) addressed the meeting.
Councillor Harwood stated that in response to comments which had been made about his involvement in the application, he could confirm that as a Political Group Spokesperson, he had participated in pre-application discussions with the Case Officer and the developer. In the course of those discussions, no heads of terms relating to the management of any future designated land were discussed or agreed. Maidstone Borough Council Parks and Leisure Department had advised that it was not in a position to take on the woodland area and ecology park. He had suggested that obtaining a Local Nature Reserve designation would provide protection for the land and would require a management plan going forward. The determining authority for a Local Nature Reserve would be the Borough Council. He had no interest whatsoever in the application.
1. That subject to the prior completion of a S106 legal agreement in such terms as the Head of Legal Partnership may advise to secure the following:
· The provision of 40% affordable residential units within the application site, 65% rental and 35% shared ownership;
· A contribution for NHS Property Services of £37,800 to be put towards improvements at the named surgeries of Bearsted Medical Practice and The Spires Surgery;
· A contribution for Kent County Council of £2,360.96 per applicable house towards primary education provision in Maidstone to be put towards the enhancement of teaching space at South Borough Primary School;
· A contribution for Kent County Council of £2,359.80 per applicable house towards secondary education provision in Maidstone to be put towards the enhancement of teaching space at Maplesden Noakes School;
· A contribution for Kent County Council of £1,589 to be used to address the demand from the development for youth services; the contribution to go towards the Infozone Youth Hub for use and distribution locally;
· A contribution for Kent County Council of£2,400.79 to be used to address the demand from the development towards additional book stock and services to be supplied to Bearsted Library;
· A contribution for Kent County Council of £1,400 for the purposes of improving the environment and furniture of Public Footpath KM75 to mitigate the impact of the development and to include the addition of two handrails to a section of the footpath; and
· Details of a long term management plan for the open space, woodland and ecology park including responsibility for management, management contribution including the duration of the contribution, restriction of public access to certain areas and full habitat and ecology management details,
the Head of Planning and Development be given delegated powers to grant permission subject to the conditions and informatives set out in the report, as amended by the urgent update report, and the following additional informative:
There should be no access for construction vehicles through the village.
2. That the details of the long term management plan for the open space, woodland and ecology park referred to in the heads of terms of the S106 legal agreement must be reported to the Planning Committee for approval prior to completion of the S106 legal agreement.
Voting: 7 – For 4 – Against 1 – Abstention
FURTHER RESOLVED: That a delivery group comprising the developer, Maidstone Borough Council Officers, the local Ward Members, representatives of the Parish Council and Councillors English, Greer and Harwood be established to ensure that the development is delivered to a satisfactory high standard.
Voting: 10 – For 0 – Against 2 – Abstentions
- 14/504795 - Site Plan, item 327. PDF 197 KB
- 14/504795 - Committee Report, item 327. PDF 348 KB
- 14-504795 Land South of Cross Keys_urgent update, item 327. PDF 47 KB View as HTML (327./3) 12 KB
- 14-504795_photos, item 327. PDF 1 MB