MAIDSTONE BOROUGH COUNCIL
MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 30 JUNE ADJOURNED TO
7 JULY 2016
7 July 2016
Councillor Perry (Chairman) and Councillors Boughton, Brice, Clark, Cox, English, Hemsley, Munford, Powell, Prendergast, Round, Wilby and Willis
Councillors Newton and Springett
Martina Olley – Mott MacDonald (Transport Consultants)
63. Apologies for Absence
It was noted that apologies for absence had been received from Councillors Harwood, Hastie and Mrs Stockell.
64. Notification of Substitute Members
The following Substitute Members were noted:
Councillor Brice for Councillor Mrs Stockell
Councillor Wilby for Councillor Harwood
Councillor Willis for Councillor Hastie
65. Notification of Visiting Members
Councillor Newton indicated his wish to speak on the reports of the Head of Planning and Development relating to applications 15/509015 and 15/509251.
It was noted that Councillor Springett had indicated her wish to speak on the report of the Head of Planning and Development relating to application 15/509015.
66. Items withdrawn from the Agenda
There were none.
67. Urgent Items
The Chairman stated that, in his opinion, the update reports of the Head of Planning and Development should be taken as urgent items as they contained further information relating to the applications to be considered at the meeting.
68. Disclosures by Members and Officers
Councillor Boughton said that, with regard to the report of the Head of Planning and Development relating to application 15/509251, he had previously campaigned against housing development in Otham. However, he had never expressed a view on this particular application, and he intended to speak and vote when it was discussed.
Councillor Munford said that, with regard to the report of the Head of Planning and Development relating to application 15/509015, he was the Chairman of Boughton Monchelsea Parish Council, and part of the application site was located within the Parish. However, he had not taken part in the Parish Council’s Planning Committee’s discussions on the application, and intended to speak and vote when it was considered.
Councillor Prendergast said that, in the past, she had been a member of CPRE Kent which had commented on applications 15/509015 and 15/509251. However, she had not participated in CPRE Kent’s discussions on these applications, and intended to speak and vote when they were considered.
69. Disclosures of Lobbying
Councillor Powell entered the meeting at this stage (6.04 p.m.)
All Members stated that they had been lobbied on the reports of the Head of Planning and Development relating to applications 15/509015 and 15/509251.
70. Exempt Items
RESOLVED: That the legal advice relating to applications 15/509015 and 15/509251 should be considered in public, but the information contained therein should remain private.
The meeting was adjourned for five minutes to enable Members to read through the advice.
71. LOCAL PLAN CONTEXT
The Head of Planning and Development provided a brief update on the Local Plan context applicable to both applications to be considered, drawing the Committee’s attention to the information set out in the urgent update report circulated at the meeting.
72. 15/509015 - OUTLINE APPLICATION FOR RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT, TOGETHER WITH NON-RESIDENTIAL USES INCLUDING POTENTIALLY A1 (RETAIL), A3 (SALE OF FOOD AND DRINK ON THE PREMISES E.G. RESTAURANT), A4 (PUBLIC HOUSE), D1(A) (MEDICAL USE), D1(B) (CRECHE/DAY CENTRE/DAY NURSERY), OR B1 (OFFICE), UP TO 0.4 HA OF LAND RESERVED FOR C2 (RESIDENTIAL CARE), THE RESERVATION OF 2.1 HA OF LAND FOR PRIMARY EDUCATION (USE CLASS D1), PUBLIC OPEN SPACE IN THE FORM OF NATURAL GREEN SPACE, PLAY FACILITIES AND INFORMAL OPEN SPACE TOGETHER WITH LANDSCAPING, PARKING, FOOTPATH AND CYCLE LINKS AND THE NECESSARY SERVICING, DRAINAGE AND THE PROVISION OF NECESSARY UTILITIES INFRASTRUCTURE, WITH ALL MATTERS RESERVED FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ACCESS - LAND SOUTH OF SUTTON ROAD, LANGLEY, KENT
The Committee considered the report and the urgent update reports of the Head of Planning and Development.
Mr Hunt presented a petition objecting to the application.
Councillor Maggio of Langley Parish Council (against), Councillor Gershon of Boughton Monchelsea Parish Council (against), Mrs Etherington, for the applicant, and Councillors Newton and Springett (Visiting Members) addressed the meeting.
RESOLVED: That consideration of this application be deferred until the next meeting of the Committee scheduled to be held on 14 July 2016 to enable further information to be provided relating to highways and air quality issues to include:
· A comparison of the Maidstone Borough Council and Kent County Council evidence in terms of transport modelling;
· The potential for rat running along the lanes to the north of Sutton Road;
· Bus mitigation;
· Details of alternative measures to mitigate the impact of the development on the A274 Wheatsheaf junction following the rejection of the Cranbourne Avenue scheme; and
· Information on air quality management issues.
Voting: 12 – For 0 – Against 1 – Abstention
73. 15/509251 - OUTLINE APPLICATION FOR RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT WITH ASSOCIATED VEHICULAR, PEDESTRIAN AND CYCLE ACCESS, AND ASSOCIATED WORKS, INCLUDING PROVISION OF PUBLIC OPEN SPACE. (ALL MATTERS RESERVED FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ACCESS) - LAND NORTH OF BICKNOR WOOD, SUTTON ROAD, MAIDSTONE, KENT
RESOLVED: That consideration of this application be deferred until the next meeting of the Committee scheduled to be held on 14 July 2016 for the same reasons as set out above in relation to application 15/509015.
Voting: 13 – For 0 – Against 0 – Abstentions
74. Chairman's Announcements
There were no announcements on this occasion.
75. Duration of Meeting
6.00 p.m. to 9.10 p.m.