MAIDSTONE BOROUGH COUNCIL
economic and commercial development overview and scrutiny committee
Tuesday 24 FEBRuary 2015
1. CAREERS ADVICE AND GUIDANCE REVIEW
1.1 Issue for Consideration
1.1.1 At the meeting of 23 December 2014, the Economic and Commercial Development Overview and Scrutiny Committee resolved to hold a scoping meeting for a possible review into Careers Advice and Guidance in the borough. This scope was subsequently agreed at the meeting of 27 January 2015. The committee also held their first evidence gathering session at the meeting of 27 January 2015.
of the Research and Performance Officer
1.2.1 It is recommended that the Committee interview the witnesses to gather evidence for the review.
scoping document (Appendix A) for the review is attached to this report. This
document outlines the reasons for recommendation.
Barron, Director of the Kent Foundation for Young Entrepreneurs, and Alan
Reading, of Lenham Valley Business Association and South Maidstone Business
Association, have agreed to be interviewed as witnesses for this review.
1.3.3 Members may wish to ask the following questions of Alan Reading:
· What, if any, involvement have you had with the delivery of careers advice and guidance in Maidstone?
· Do you feel there are any areas that could be improved?
· What experience have your members had in providing work experience (either for children of school age or those who are older)?
could Maidstone Borough Council do to help with the delivery of careers advice
1.3.4 Members may wish to ask the following questions of Paul Barron:
· What involvement has the Kent Foundation for Young Entrepreneurs had in delivering careers advice and guidance in Maidstone?
· What can Maidstone Borough Council do to help with the delivery of careers advice and guidance?
the proposed Enterprise Hub help with the delivery of careers advice and
guidance for those young people who wish to start their own business?
1.4 Alternative Action and why not Recommended
1.4.1 The Committee could choose not to interview the witnesses, but this would make it difficult to carry out the review of Careers Advice and Guidance.
1.5 Impact on Corporate Objectives
1.5.1 This review has an impact on the following corporate objectives:
· For Maidstone to have a growing economy; and
· For Maidstone to be a decent place to live.
1.6 Relevant Documents
Appendix A: Careers Advice and Guidance Review Draft Scope
1.6.2 Background Documents
IS THIS A KEY DECISION REPORT? THIS BOX MUST BE COMPLETED
If yes, this is a Key Decision because: ..
Wards/Parishes affected: ..