MAIDSTONE BOROUGH COUNCIL
Cobtree Manor Estate Charity Committee
Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 23 September 2015
Councillor McLoughlin (Chairman), and
Councillors Cox, Mrs Hinder, Paterson and Mrs Stockell
83. Apologies for Absence
It was noted that there were apologies from Councillors Mrs Blackmore, Perry and Mrs Wilson.
84. Notification of Substitute Members
It was noted that Councillors Mrs Hinder, Mrs Stockell and Cox were present as substitute members for Councillors Mrs Blackmore, Perry and Mrs Wilson respectively.
85. Notification of Visiting Members
There were no Visiting Members.
86. Disclosures by Members and Officers
There were no disclosures by members or officers.
87. Disclosures of Lobbying
There were no disclosures of lobbying.
88. To consider whether any items should be taken in private because of the possible disclosure of exempt information.
RESOLVED: That the Part II item on the agenda be taken in private as proposed.
89. Minutes of the meeting held on 29 July 2015
RESOLVED: that the minutes of the meeting held on 29 July 2015 be approved as a correct record and signed.
90. Report of Head of Commercial and Economic Development - Accounts 2014/15
Paul Holland, Senior Accountant introduced the Accounts 2014/15 report. He explained that they were draft accounts that were currently being audited. He advised that the audited accounts would return to the Committee in January, once they had been to the Cobtree trustees. The Committee was informed that King and Taylor had been appointed as auditors.
It was highlighted that there had been net increase in profits, including capital. However with the operational costs taken out there was a deficit of £42,000 which was in line with the forecast.
In response to member’s questions it was explained that the uptake of golf was in decline and the Council were looking at new ways to manage the Golf Course. A range of solutions would be sought as part of the tendering process in 2016.
RESOLVED: That the draft Annual Report and Financial Statement for the financial year 2014/15 be noted.
91. Report of Head of Commercial and Economic Development - Cobtree Estate Risk Management Update
Joanna Joyce, Cobtree Officer introduced the Cobtree Estate Risk Management Update Report. It was explained that the report covered management of risk for the estate as a whole and that the risks relating to the Golf Course would be discussed in a separate report.
The Committee considered the introduction of car parking charges (due to be implemented on 5 October 2015) and the impact that this would have on visitor numbers. The critical success factor of risk 3h ‘Visitor numbers are stabilised and back to current amount within 3 years’ as set out in the Risk Assessment document, attached as Appendix 1 to the Cobtree Manor Estate Risk Management Annual Review 2015 was considered to be too cautious. Members felt that this should be monitored on a regular basis and reviewed.
1. That the Risk Assessment document, attached as Appendix 1 to the Cobtree Manor Estate Risk Management Annual Review 2015, be endorsed; and
2. That the critical success factor of risk 3h ‘Visitor numbers are stabilised and back to current amount within 3 years’ as set out in the Risk Assessment document, attached as Appendix 1 to the Cobtree Manor Estate Risk Management Annual Review 2015, be reviewed at regular intervals over the course of the next two years.
92. Report of Head of Commercial and Economic Development - Cobtree Estate Progress Report
Joanna Joyce, Cobtree Officer introduced the Cobtree Estate Progress Report. The report highlighted the completion of the new visitor centre and the installation of the final sculpture which brought the Cobtree Masterplan to a conclusion.
In response to member’s questions it was explained that the current project had taken five years. The year ahead was described as a ‘consolidation year’, concentrating on delivering what had been promised. The future would involve plans to make the Cobtree Estate more cohesive.
It was clarified that the income from parking charges would be ring-fenced to the park and would cover the cost of maintaining the play equipment.
RESOLVED: That the Cobtree Estate Progress Report be noted.
93. EXCLUSION OF THE PUBLIC FROM THE MEETING
RESOLVED: That the public be excluded from the meeting for the following item of business because of the likely disclosure of exempt information for the reason specified having applied the Public Interest Test:
Head of Schedule 12 A
and Brief Description
Report of the Head of Economic 3 – Financial/Business
and Commercial Development – Affairs
Cobtree Manor Park Golf Course
94. Exempt Report of the Head of Economic and Commercial Development - Cobtree Manor Park Golf Course.
Dawn Hudd, Head of Commercial and Economic Development introduced the Cobtree Manor Park Golf Course report.
The Committee was informed on the current management arrangements of the Golf Course and future proposals for its management and use.
The Committee considered the proposals and recommendations as set out in the report.
RESOLVED: That the recommendations, as set out in the report, be agreed.
95. Duration of meeting.
5.00pm to 5.55pm