Issue - meetings
Member Training Report
The Head of Planning and Development submitted a report setting out a proposed training programme to enable Members and Substitute Members of the Committee to fulfil their responsibilities under the Council’s Constitution and their individual responsibilities to maintain their knowledge and understanding of local and national planning policy and legislation.
1. New Planning Committee Members and new Substitute Members must complete Planning Training by the end of February 2019, covering the Development Plan, Planning Policies and Guidance, Legislation, Planning Conditions, Grounds of Refusal of Planning Applications, Section 106 Agreements and Legal Training including Pre-determination of Planning Applications (General and Constitution background), and Planning Judicial Reviews (General process) in order to fulfil the requirements in the Constitution.
2. Existing Planning Committee Members and Substitute Members must complete training by the end of February 2019 covering annual refresher training on recent changes to Planning Policies and Guidance, Legislation, Procedures and Legal Training including Pre-determination of Planning Applications (General and Constitution background), and Planning Judicial Reviews (General process) in order to fulfil the requirements in the Constitution and that every two years Members must undertake refresher training covering Planning Conditions and Grounds of Refusal.
3. Planning Committee Members and Substitute Members are strongly recommended to complete the following optional training sessions:
· Maidstone’s Local Plan/CIL – How its policies will continue to deliver high quality development and key aspects of CIL implementation.
· Between 1-3 specialised/best practice subject area sessions potentially covering but not limited to design, air quality and biodiversity, but to be agreed by the Head of Planning and Development in consultation with Members of the Committee. (This would be likely to be run by an external trainer/body).
Voting: 10 – For 0 – Against 1 - Abstention