Operating and personal

Before applying

Operating and personal licences are for commercial gambling, people working in the industry and certain lottery managers/promoters and are licensed by the Gambling Commission.

Before applying, please read our Gambling licensing policy

Apply for a licence

Before applying you will need:

  • proof of your identity
  • proof of identity documents for the business
  • other supporting documents for the business (what type of organisation you are, how your organisation is structured and set up, who is managing what and whom, who ultimately benefits from and/or influences the gambling activities and if you are part of a group of companies, how you fit into this and the relationships you have with the rest of the group)
    • any personal licence or Annex A applications
    • any gambling licences you have which were not issued in the UK
    • if your company is not based in Great Britain, we will need a UK contact address
    • Disclosure and Barring Service form (if you live/work in England or Wales) or Disclosure Scotland form (if you live/work in Scotland). Email or call our contact centre to get a copy of either form. If you live overseas, you will need to provide a police record from your country of residence.
    • payment of the non-refundable application fee (see your licence type for costs).

We would also need to see a copy of your Employer’s Liability Insurance if you have people working for you.

Apply for an operating licence

How long does it take

Operating licence applications take around 16 weeks to process, providing full information is submitted.