This is a driver training module that ensures we are compliant with the statutory taxi and private hire vehicle standards, we have introduced an additional mandatory test to evaluate a driver’s understanding of:
- child sexual exploitation and safeguarding
- disability awareness
- gangs and county lines
The training and test will be undertaken at our offices using a third-party software product. All new applicants and future renewal drivers will be required to undertake this for a one-off fee.
For details of the fee, please see our fees and charges page.
Once a new applicant, or a driver at renewal stage has passed this test, there will be no requirement to re-take it at their next renewal.
How to book
Please note the following:
- if this is your first test booking, you will need to have made your payment and have your receipt ready to make your booking request
- a member of the licensing team will email you within five working days confirming the date and time of your test appointment
- if you are unable to attend your scheduled appointment, you must notify the licensing team at least two working days before the date of your test
If you have any questions or concerns about any element of the test, please email the Licensing Team and an officer will contact you.
About the test
On the day of your test you will need to produce your identification and, if applicable, evidence demonstrating your right to work in the taxi and private hire sector as set out in the acceptable documents list. If you fail to provide evidence, you will not be permitted to sit the test. You should allow up to two and a half hours for the test.
The test covers three subject areas. Candidates are required to demonstrate sufficient knowledge of disability awareness, child sexual exploitation, and gangs and county lines.
- disability awareness training takes between 45 and 75 minutes, depending on the individual
- child sexual exploitation training takes between 20 and 30 minutes, depending on the individual
- gangs and county lines training takes between 20 and 30 minutes, depending on the individual
The driver training module (EQUO) is made up of three subject areas. The content covered in each is listed below.
Child sexual exploitation
- introduction to child sexual exploitation training
- what is abuse?
- if you have concerns about a child
- what is child sexual exploitation?
- indicators of risk and who is at risk
- who are the offenders?
- how are young people targeted?
- signs that you can look out for
- trafficking and The Modern Slavery Act
- what can you do to help?
- good safeguarding practice
- further information
- how to report your concerns
- definitions of disability
- getting in on the act
- models of disability
- facts and figures about disability
- positive language
- access to your premises
- mobility impairment
- visual impairment
- hearing impairments
- short stature
- speech and language impairments
- learning disabilities
- mental health
- safe transportation of wheelchairs
- assistance dogs
- what is a county line?
- what is meant by cuckooing?
- what does 'going country' mean?
To achieve a pass an applicant must score at least 75% in all categories.
To assist you in passing the test, revision materials will be sent by email (on receipt of payment) along with the confirmation of your test date. Allow yourself sufficient time to prepare and study for the test.
Your results will be sent to your supplied email address, normally within five working days.