Annual Canvass of the Elector Register
The annual canvass of the Elector Register starts on 1 July 2020. The process has changed so please check your letter and follow the instructions carefully. More information visit our Annual Household canvass page.
Roles and Duties
Roles and Duties
- To be first citizen of the borough and to focus on local democracy.
- To uphold and promote the purposes of the constitution, and to interpret the constitution when necessary.
- To preside over meetings of the council so that business can be carried out efficiently and with the regard to the rights of councillors and the interests of the community.
- To ensure the council meeting is a forum for the debate of matters of concern for the local community and the place at which members who are not on the executive are able to hold the executive to account.
- To promote public involvement in the council’s activities.
- To attend such civic ceremonial functions as the council determine appropriate.
- The Mayor and in his absence the Deputy Mayor will be asked to attend and to perform a wide and varied array of duties in the borough and also duties in other boroughs and towns in the county.
- Charitable organisations – attending meetings and special events, which help to highlight and raise the profile of the valued work.
- Schools – performing official openings and attending assemblies to talk about the mayoralty.
- Opening fetes and supporting local sports.
- Representing the borough at civic and official events both within and outside the borough.
- Supporting local organisations at concerts, competitions and prize givings.
- Greeting foreign visitors to the town.