Mortgage arrears

When you receive a letter or phone call from your mortgage lender about your mortgage payments or interest rate, never ignore it. If you do not understand the letter, do not be afraid to ask your lender.

If you're in mortgage arrears or you're worried about paying your mortgage you can find advice on the Money Helper website.

Support for mortgage interest loans

You can get a government loan to help pay your mortgage. This help is called support for mortgage interest (SMI). It's a loan and not a benefit, and it must be repaid.

You can find out more information on the National Homelessness Advice Service's website.