COVID-19 Emergency Assistance Grant
Central Government has allocated funding to Maidstone Borough Council under the Emergency Assistance Grant for Food and Essential Supplies to support people who are struggling to afford essentials items due to financial hardship caused by COVID-19. This scheme is temporary.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the scheme you must:
- Be over the age of 16
- Live within Maidstone Borough*
- Be able to demonstrate that the financial hardship is due to Covid-19 during period July-Oct**.
- have household income less than £40,000 per annum***.
It is one application per household (not repeated), and can be used for any tenure whether private or social rent, and homeowner occupiers.
*Exceptional circumstances for those housed from Prison services / Fleeing Domestic Violence / Placed in Temporary Accommodation by Maidstone Borough Council only.
**When reviewing the case, we will use the National Guidelines of Affordability to find what is a reasonable expenditure.
***Exceptional circumstances case by case.
ID and Supporting Evidence
For every application you must provide:
- Proof of Address – utility bill within last 3 months / driving licence / tenancy agreement
- Proof of household – birth certificates / Child Tax support letter / Child Benefit letter/ School acceptance letter
- Proof of all bank accounts – statement within last 3 months
- Proof of financial difficulties and/or loss of income due to COVID-19 - pay slips/bank statements from March – Sept 2020 inclusive
- Proof of expenses claiming for due to COVID-19 – receipts / previous bills
Documents will need to be submitted within 5 working days of submitting the application form. This may be either through email, or by post.
If you are unable to meet the above criteria but are in need of support, please visit our money advice page
How to apply
Referrals can only be made through the following agencies:
Please note the funding is not going to these agencies but to the resident, however the resident will need to be already known to these services to access the grant.
The application may take a maximum 10 working days from date all supporting documents are received. Maximum funding per household available is £150. Documents will need to be provided within 5 working days of submitting the application form. This may be either through EAG@maidstone.gov.uk email, or through post toEAG Department
Final decision cannot be made until all the required documents have been received. Should your application be successful, a bank account in your name will be required for the funds to be transferred.
If we have declined your application and you feel the decision should be reviewed, please submit your appeal in writing to EAG@maidstone.gov.uk within 7 days of the initial decision. The decision for the Appeal will be made within 10 working days.