Register your premises

You need to register your premises if it is used as a food business. This includes businesses that store, handle, manufacture or deliver food.

The information we collect is entered on a public register. The address and type of business are public record. Other information about your business may be requested under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

You need to register your business 28 days before you open it. If you have more than one food outlet you need to register all of them. You need to re-register if the business has a new partner or someone else has taken it over.

If you are taking over a new business you need to register the premises again in your name. You must also tell us of any changes including if the owner of the business changes, the address changes or the nature of the business changes.

Register your food business

Food hygiene rating scheme

We run the National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme with the Food Standards Agency. The scheme rates places where you eat, supermarkets and food shops.

Find out the rating of any food business in Maidstone by checking our Maidstone Food Hygiene Ratings page.

How the ratings are worked out

A Food Safety Officer will inspect a food outlet and give it a rating. They will look at:

  • how hygienically the food is handled
  • the condition and cleanliness of the premises
  • how food safety is managed and documented

A rating of five is very good, working down to a zero which means urgent improvements are needed. If the rating is under five the officer will explain what improvements need to be made.

If you're unhappy with the rating you can:

Appeal your rating

Request another visit

Reply to your rating

Food advice

If you are starting a new business we can provide a pre-opening advice visit by a Food & Safety or Environmental Health Officer. The officers will then visit and give you advice on various aspects of hygiene, structure and management requirements.

There is a charge for this service, so please contact Environmental Health Admin on 01622 602460/01622 602450 or email at Alternatively, we are happy to give advice over the telephone or email free of charge.

An advice visit takes a minimum of two hours. The fee for this is £170


From 13 December 2014 all food businesses that sell loose and pre-packed food, will need to provide clear labelling and information about food allergens to their customers. For more information about allergens visit the Food Standards Agency's website.

Report it

You can report a food premises if you think it isn't following hygiene rules by calling 01622 602460 or 01622 602450.

We'll investigate your complaint as quickly as we can and contact will you within 5 working days. Some complaints can take up to 30 days, however we'll keep you updated every step of the way.

Food poisoning

If you think you have food poisoning contact your doctor. They will then contact us or the local authority of the premises if there is a confirmed or suspected case of food poisoning.