Tips for recycling
- ensure that all recyclable materials are placed loose in the recycling bin, no plastic bags
- flatten all cardboard boxes to create room in your recycling bin
- food waste should be home composted or go into your food caddy
- wine or beer cans or bottles can be recycled in your recycling bin
- polystyrene packaging and plastic wrapping must go in your black bin as they cannot be recycled
What you can recycle
- cardboard boxes and packaging
- Christmas cards and envelopes that don't have glitter
- Christmas crackers with the snap removed, jokes and hats
- Christmas pudding tubs
- gift tags
- glass bottles and jars
- mince pie boxes and plastic trays
- mince pie foils
- plastic bottles
- sweet and biscuit tins/tubs
- tins and cans
- wrapping paper which is non-glitter or plastic
What you can't recycle
Glass baubles are not recyclable. Broken glass baubles should be disposed of by wrapping and putting them in with your general waste.
Plastic baubles are usually made from types of plastic not widely collected yet in the UK and are likely to be covered with glitter. This would impact on the recycling process and need to go in with your black bin.
Tinsel cannot be recycled. If your tinsel has finally lost its sparkle and needs to be thrown away please dispose of it in your black bin.
Scrunch the paper into a tight ball in your hand, if it stays scrunched you can recycle it. Please remember that laminated and glittery paper cannot be recycled.