Flooding advice

Be Prepared

For advice on what to do before, during and after a flood visit the Environment Agency's website. If your property could be at risk of flooding in the future, please consider:

  • What you might want to save in a flood. Think about moving items of personal value, such as photo albums, to a safe place.
  • How to turn off your gas, electricity and water.
  • Making sure that you have supplies of bottled water, medicines, food and baby care items in the house.
  • Keeping copies of all insurance documents in a safe, waterproof place.


Sandbags provide some protection but are unlikely to prevent water entering property during severe flooding.

We keep a stock of sandbags, but these are limited in number. We use them to help protect key infrastructure identified by the emergency services, or as a barrier to divert water away from numbers of properties at a time. We will always help wherever we can, but we don't have a duty to provide sandbags to communities, individual homes or businesses.

You are responsible for your own flood protection equipment, including sandbags. If you think sandbags will be useful for your home, you can buy them from builders merchants to store at home ready to react quickly if there’s a problem.

Advice on how to use sandbags, before, during and after a flood can be found in the Environment Agency's Sandbags Guide.

Purchasing Sandbags

You may wish to keep your own sandbags at home in case of flooding in the future. We don't sell sandbags, but you can purchase them from:

WebsiteAddress Telephone number Opening times
B & Q Barker Road,
ME16 8DW
01622 672488 Monday to Saturday from 7am - 8pm
Sunday from 10am - 4pm
Jewson Buckland Hill,
ME16 0SQ
01622 761178 Monday to Friday from 7am - 5pm
Saturday from 7.30am - 12pm
Travis Perkins Forstal Road,
ME20 7AG
01622 710111 Monday to Friday from 6.30am - 5pm
Saturday from 8am - 12pm
Travis Perkins Bircholt Road,
Park Wood Trading Estate,
Park Wood,
ME15 9XY
01622 688809 Monday to Friday from 7am - 5pm
Saturday from 8am - 12pm

After a flood

For information about clearing up and drying out properties after a flood, please see the How To Clean Up Your Home Safely Guide.


Dehumidifiers can be hired from:

Website Telephone number
Acorn Hire01580 891234
Best at Hire0344 288 8088
Brandon Hire Station0345 604 5337
Calor Centre (offer portable heating solutions) 0800 662 663
Carrier Rental Systems0870 397 6590
Chillmech Limited01892 838669
HSS Hire01622 616305
Ideal Group0808 239 4314
Speedy Services01622 791001

Drying Out Your Property After a Flood

Dehumidifiers are the standard method to dry a house after a flood. They combat condensation, mould and rot.

Further Advice

You can find more information about what to do after a flood on the GOV.UK website.

Home repairs

Following bad weather, beware of rogue traders who may seek to exploit people.

Residents are encouraged to look out for vulnerable neighbours and ensure they do not fall prey to a minority of people who could take advantage of others for commercial gain.

If you do need to have repair work undertaken, Kent Police advises using traders who been recommended by family, friends or someone from schemes intended to improve business standards and provide increased consumer confidence, for example Kent County Council Trading Standards’ Buy with Confidence approved trader scheme.

Don’t deal with doorstep callers offering work on your home or garden.

Residents can report any suspicious people or callers to Citizens Advice on 0345 404 0506.

Roads advice

Highways Emergencies

Report any potential emergency situations, like fallen trees, pot holes on fast stretches of road and any other damage to Kent Highway Services by calling 0300 041 8181. Other faults can be reported online on Kent County Council's website.


Please be aware of icy surfaces when out driving, especially in the early morning. Don't drive through flood water. Just 30cm of flowing water can move a family car.

A 'road closed' or 'road flooded' sign means that the road isn't safe. You should either use an alternative route or wait until those roads have been given the all clear. Flooded roads without signs are still unsafe and could have been damaged by the flood water.

For more information about driving during severe weather visit the Met Offices's advice page.

Footpath and Road Clearing

For information about footpath and road clearing visit the Kent Highways Services winter service information website.

Power cut updates

Find out all the latest about power cuts by visiting the UK Power Networks website or by following them on Twitter @UKPowerNetworks.

Live Map

You can use the UK Power Networks Live Power Map to search for and view any power cuts in your area.

Priority Service Register

This is a new service from UK Power Networks for those that might need extra assistance during a power cut. For example, people that rely on medical equipment, have babies and the elderly or disabled. For more information or to register for the service visit UK Power Networks Priority Service Register website.

Report it

To report a power cut or damaged power lines:

Remember to stay well clear as live power lines are very dangerous. If they're down or pose a significant risk to the public call 999 instead.

During a power cut

If you have a power cut:

  • Do report it
  • Visit the UK Power Networks website on a mobile device for some useful videos with advice during a power cut
  • Listen to local media who often broadcast helpful information
  • Use an old fashioned corded phone which you can plug in, as cordless phones won’t work in the event of a power cut
  • Dress warmly in several layers of clothing, stay in one room or even get into bed
  • Take great care if using candles, tea-lights and other naked flames
  • If you keep your freezer door closed, the temperature inside should remain low enough to keep the contents frozen for 12 to 15 hours. Many freezers can last as long as 24 hours without power
  • Switch off all your electrical equipment, except one light which will let you know when the power comes back on
  • Remember the street lights may also be off so take care if you go out
  • Look out for elderly neighbours. Please consider taking them a flask of hot water or hot food