Non-dependant deductions

Anyone who lives with you and is over 18 who is not one of the following is called a non-dependant. They can be:

  • relatives
  • friends
  • children who have left school or college
  • boarders, sub-tenants and joint tenants

We take a set amount off your benefits based on their income even if they do not give you anything. These deductions apply to both Housing Benefit and Council Tax support.

Housing Benefit

We won't take a deduction if the non-dependant is:

  • in receipt of Pension Credit
  • is under 25 and receives Income Support, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, income-related Employment and Support Allowance (assessment phase) or Universal Credit with no earned income
  • a student


Weekly deduction

Employment Support Allowance (income related) main phase


Over 25 and on Income Support or Jobseeker's Allowance (income based)


Over 18 and not in paid work


Over 18 and working, based on gross earnings

Income (per week)

Weekly deduction

Under £162


£162 - £235.99


£236- £307.99


£308- £409.99


£410- £510.99


Over £511


Council Tax Support


Weekly deduction

Over 18 and not working


Over 18 and working