BETA We are updating this service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Dangerous or wild animals

To keep certain types of animals you will need a dangerous wild animal licence. You will need a licence even if the animal or animals are being kept as pets.

You need a licence for:

  • wild cats
  • primates
  • wild dogs, for example wolves
  • certain pigs, for example wild boars
  • marsupials

Check the full list of animals you need a licence for.

You may also need to apply for planning permission to change the use of the property, if you intend to breed or sell the animals as part of a business.


You will need to provide us with information  to support your application:

  • details about the type of animals you wish to keep, including gender and how many
  • the address of where the animals will be kept
  • a copy of your public liability Insurance covering any damage that your animals may cause
  • a risk assessment to yourself, or anyone visiting the property.
  • emergency plans including fire, escape of the animal, snake bites
  • a plan of the premises


What happens next

Once we receive your application we will contact you within three working days to confirm if we need any more information.

If we have everything we need, an officer will arrange a date for inspection. If we need further information then your application will be placed on hold until we receive the information.

Applications will only be placed on hold for a maximum of eight weeks before being cancelled.

Making changes and renewals

If you need to change your licence you can find out more on our variations to animal licences webpage.


You need to renew a minimum of 10 weeks before the expiry date. A copy of the current public liability insurance certificate and any procedures which have been updated should be attached to the renewal application. If you have missed the renewal date and your licence has expired, you will be required to pay the new application fee instead of the renewal fee.


Licence fees

Number of animalsApplicationRenewal
Per species £210 £130