Contact your Parish Council
Issue - meetings
Flood Risk Alleviation
- Enc. 1 for Flood Risk Alleviation, item 99 PDF 1 MB
- Enc. 2 for Flood Risk Alleviation, item 99 PDF 1 MB
The Director of Finance and Business Improvement introduced the report and referenced the instances of flooding as outlined in the report. Progress continued on the Medway Street Flood Barrier and the works to Mote Park Dam were nearing completion; only the regeneration of two sluice gates remained, to provide increased resilience against potential flooding, to commence on the 2 November 2021 and be completed by Christmas 2021.
A natural wetland in Staplehurst was proposed to absorb any flood waters before it reached the river Beult and caused flooding downstream, with further details provided in Appendix B to the report. The scheme would be financed in the main by the Environment Agency, with a £13,000 contribution requested from the Council.
In response to questions, the Director of Finance and Business Improvement confirmed that glass flood barriers had been implemented elsewhere and that further details of those schemes could be provided to the Committee. The Countryside Stewardship grant was highlighted.
The Committee expressed support for the natural flood measure proposed, which could only be achieved due to the landowner’s consent. There were concerns however that further measures were needed to achieve a cumulative affect across Staplehurst and wider areas of the borough and that the local Ward Member(s) should be consulted on any future proposals, to increase stakeholder and resident engagement in the process.
Several Members highlighted other flood risk areas that should be investigated where possible, such as flooding in the town centre and that arising from new developments.
1. The progress with flood management initiatives delivered by the Council as part of the Medway Flood Partnership, be noted;
2. £13,352 be allocated for the Natural Flood Management scheme as described in paragraph 2.17 of the report and appendix b to the report, subject to confirmation of match funding; and
3. The request for better consultation with Ward Members and other affected parties on future schemes, be noted.