15/509015 - OUTLINE APPLICATION FOR RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT, TOGETHER WITH NON-RESIDENTIAL USES INCLUDING POTENTIALLY A1 (RETAIL), A3 (SALE OF FOOD AND DRINK ON THE PREMISES E.G. RESTAURANT), A4 (PUBLIC HOUSE), D1(A) (MEDICAL USE), D1(B) (CRECHE/DAY CENTRE/DAY NURSERY), OR B1 (OFFICE), UP TO 0.4 HA OF LAND RESERVED FOR C2 (RESIDENTIAL CARE), THE RESERVATION OF 2.1 HA OF LAND FOR PRIMARY EDUCATION (USE CLASS D1), PUBLIC OPEN SPACE IN THE FORM OF NATURAL GREEN SPACE, PLAY FACILITIES AND INFORMAL OPEN SPACE TOGETHER WITH LANDSCAPING, PARKING, FOOTPATH AND CYCLE LINKS AND THE NECESSARY SERVICING, DRAINAGE AND THE PROVISION OF NECESSARY UTILITIES INFRASTRUCTURE, WITH ALL MATTERS RESERVED FOR FUTURE CONSIDERATION WITH THE EXCEPTION OF ACCESS - LAND SOUTH OF SUTTON ROAD, LANGLEY, KENT
- Meeting of Planning Committee, Thursday 14th July, 2016 6.00 pm (Item 89.)
- View the background to item 89.
The Committee considered the report and the urgent update reports of the Head of Planning and Development.
Councillor Taylor-Maggio of Langley Parish Council (against),
Mrs Etherington, for the applicant, and Councillor Newton (Visiting Member) addressed the meeting.
1. That subject to the prior completion of a S106 legal agreement in such terms as the Head of Legal Partnership may advise to secure the following:
· A financial contribution of £1,000.00 per dwelling towards the provision of health facilities at the Orchard Langley Surgery and/or Wallis Avenue Surgery OR the provision of on-site health facilities to be determined at reserved matters stage;
· A financial contribution of £5,625.00 per dwelling (assuming 1 Form Entry School required) for provision of a primary school on a site of a minimum of 1.2 hectares but cascade approach to allow for 2.1 hectares if the needs of the development requires it, through reserved matters process. If required the additional land to be provided at agricultural land value;
· A financial contribution of £750.00 per dwelling towards on or off-site community facilities, proposed as part of the development;
· The provision of 30% affordable housing with a 60/40 tenure split in favour of Affordable Rent including 16 Wheelchair Accessible Homes;
· The provision of a minimum 19.77 hectares of public open space as shown on drawing number RD1557_PP_104 Rev. M;
· A financial contribution of £2,359.80 per dwelling towards the expansion of the Cornwallis Academy (secondary education);
· A financial contribution of £30.70 per dwelling towards the refurbishment required at St Faiths Adult Education Centre in Maidstone to provide additional capacity to meet the needs of the additional attendees (community learning contribution);
· A financial contribution of £8.49 per dwelling towards additional equipment required to support the additional attendees at the Fusion Café youth project (youth services contribution);
· A financial contribution of £48.02 per dwelling towards additional library book stock required to mitigate the impact of the new borrowers from this development;
· A financial contribution of £53.88 per dwelling towards the cost of providing additional services for this proposed development, namely accessibility improvements to a community building local to the development where social care services are delivered by KCC or a third party (social care contribution);
· The provision of a travel plan, public transport incentives, including free taster tickets for local buses and a contribution towards monitoring of the travel plan;
· A Landscape and Ecological Management Plan, to include:
Description and evaluation of features to be managed;
Aims and objectives of management;
Management prescriptions for achieving aims and objectives;
Preparation of a work schedule (including an annual work plan capable of being rolled forward over a five-year period);
Details of the body or organisation responsible for implementation of the plan;
Details of on-going species and habitat monitoring; and
Provision for remedial measures.
The LEMP shall also include details of the legal and funding mechanism(s) by which the long-term implementation of the plan will be secured by the developer with the management body(ies) responsible for its delivery;
· Appropriate financial contributions for significant highways and transport improvements to include the following elements that are subject to further negotiations:
A per dwelling contribution for the signalisation of Junction 7 of the M20;
A per dwelling contribution for bus prioritisation measures on the A274;
A per dwelling contribution for improvements to bus services to/from the site with the prioritisation of high quality bus services serving Headcorn Railway Station, Bearsted Railway Station and the Cornwallis Academy with Real Time Information, Fast Track etc.;
A per dwelling contribution for the improvement of the junction of Loose Road/Armstrong Road/Park Way;
A per dwelling contribution for the improvement of the junction of the A20 Ashford Road/Willington Street;
Improvements to the junction of the A274 Sutton Road/St Saviours Road as per condition 28;
Improvements to public footpath KH365 to a cycle track, surface of KH369, surface of KH365 and dedication as cycle link;
Connections to the existing cycle network from Park Wood to the town centre and by upgrading the PROW network to accommodate cycles;
A new pedestrian and cycle route will be provided running east-west from Sutton Road to Brishing Road connecting with the planned route through the adjacent site at Langley Park; and
The provision of additional pedestrian and cycle crossings across the A274 in the vicinity of Langley Church/Horseshoes Lane and in the vicinity of Rumwood Court.
Per dwelling contributions to be based on the South East Maidstone Highway Mitigation Apportionment Table attached as Appendix A to the report of the Head of Planning and Development subject to any subsequent amendments negotiated and agreed by the Head of Planning and Development acting under delegated powers.
· Annual monitoring and reporting of the effect of displaced traffic on highway routes surrounding the site (“rat-running” monitoring);
· A financial contribution towards suitable mitigation measures to combat any significant adverse traffic flow conditions as may be established by the monitoring exercise to be conducted;
· The establishment of a “development monitoring committee” prior to the submission of the first reserved matters application to be responsible for the review of all aspects of the development, including design, phasing, quality etc., with such members to include an Officer of the Borough Council, Ward Member(s), representatives of the appropriate Parish Council(s) and a representative of the developers; and
· A financial contribution towards the setting up and running of this “development monitoring committee”,
the Head of Planning and Development be given delegated powers to grant outline permission subject to the conditions and informatives set out in the report and the additional conditions set out in the first urgent update report (relating to air quality, retention of public open space and no development east of PROW 369), with the amendment of condition 3 as follows:
Condition 3 (Landscaping)
n) Landscape details shall include “green fingers” down to Langley Loch, screening to protect views from the A274 and B2163 and a wooded buffer zone next to the A274 with the retention of existing vegetation.
2. That the Head of Planning and Development be given delegated powers to negotiate and agree any subsequent amendments to the South East Maidstone Highway Mitigation Apportionment Table.
3. That the Head of Planning and Development be given delegated powers in consultation with the Head of Legal Partnership to negotiate and agree the precise details of the S106 legal agreement in respect of this application.
Voting: 5 – For 4 – Against 4 – Abstentions
FURTHER RESOLVED: That the Communities, Housing and Environment Committee be recommended to look at how the Sutton Road/Loose Road area can be built into any action plan for air quality mitigation having regard to the developments coming forward.
Voting: 12 – For 0 – Against 1 – Abstention
Councillor Round left the meeting after consideration of this application (8.20 p.m.).
- 15/509015 - Site Plan, item 89. PDF 276 KB
- 15/509015 - Committee Report, item 89. PDF 393 KB View as HTML (89./2) 361 KB
- 15/509015 - Appendix A, item 89. PDF 44 KB View as HTML (89./3) 10 KB
- 15/509015 - Appendix B, item 89. PDF 71 KB View as HTML (89./4) 18 KB
- Sutton Rd 120716 urgent update, item 89. PDF 2 MB View as HTML (89./5) 132 KB
- Urgent Urgent Update 14th July 2016_Land South of Sutton Road, item 89. PDF 253 KB View as HTML (89./6) 23 KB
- 15-509015_photos, item 89. PDF 2 MB