MAIDSTONE BOROUGH COUNCIL
Queen's Own Royal West Kent Regiment Museum Trust Committee
Minutes of the meeting held on Wednesday 20 January 2016
Councillor Daley (Chairman), and
Councillors Mrs Joy, Mrs Parvin, Mrs Ring and Round
12. Apologies for Absence
It was noted that apologies for absence had been received from Councillors Blackmore and Wilson, F.
13. Notification of Substitute Members
The following Substitute Members were noted:
Councillor Ring for Councillor Blackmore
Councillor Joy for Councillor F. Wilson
14. Notification of Visiting Members
There were no Visiting Members.
15. Election of Chairman
RESOLVED: That Councillor Daley be elected Chairman of the Committee for the remainder of the Municipal Year 2015-16.
16. Election of Vice-Chairman
1) Councillor Blackmore be elected Vice-Chairman for the remainder of the Municipal Year 2015-16; and
2) The chairmanship of the Committee alternate between the Chairman and Vice-Chairman at subsequent meetings of the Committee during the remainder of the Municipal Year 2015-16, commencing with Councillor Daley.
17. Disclosures by Members and Officers
There were no disclosures by Members and Officers.
18. Disclosures of Lobbying
There were no disclosures of lobbying.
19. To consider whether any items should be taken in private because of the possible disclosure of exempt information
RESOLVED: That the items on the agenda be taken in public as proposed.
20. Minutes of the Meeting held on 17 December 2014
RESOLVED: That the minutes of the Meeting held on 17 December 2014 be approved as a correct record and signed.
21. Report of the Head of Finance and Resources - Accounts 2014/15
Paul Holland, Senior Finance Manager, introduced the Accounts for 2014/15 and highlighted the following:
· There was a deficit of £893 on the receipts and payments account.
· There had been one purchase of £750 for a medal for the collection.
· The trust had total assets of £26,022, and the bank account had a balance of £2137 at the time the report was written.
In response to questions Members were informed that:
· The value of investments was correct as of the date the balance sheet was published. Market value was flexible, and figures given were median.
· The term assets used in context of the report referred to monies rather than the Museum’s collection. Items in the collection were insured and registered as their insurance value.
· Income came from donations, bequests, and charges made by the enquiry service to perform family history searches.
RESOLVED: That the Accounts for the year ending 31 March 2015 be approved.
22. Report of the Head of Commercial and Economic Development - Annual Report 2014/15
Samantha Harris, Collections Manager, presented the Annual Report 2014/15 and apprised Members of the following:
· First World War (WW1) commemorations were ongoing, and involved educational programmes with primary and secondary schools. A project alongside a re-enactment society had incorporated living history elements.
· Older visitors had engaged with external talks and the museums on prescription programme.
· A physical audit of the collection was in progress.
Members heard that the Trone Wood painting (Collection number MNERM 818) was intended for exhibition as part of WW1 commemorations. Conservation work had been undertaken but the painting was unframed.
1) That the annual report for the Queen’s Own Royal West Kent Regiment Trust be approved for submission to the Charity Commission.
2) That authority be delegated to the Collections Manager to seek quotes for and action the framing of the Trone Wood painting (Collection number MNERM 818).
23. Duration of Meeting
10.00 a.m. to 10.22 a.m.