Housing conditions


Landlords are required to carry out repairs to their properties within reasonable timescales depending on the seriousness of the problem.

If repairs are needed in your home there are a number of steps you can take to make sure your landlord carries them out:

  • Always report the problem to your landlord no matter how small and always give the landlord the opportunity to fix the problem.
  • Follow it up in writing, with a date and keep a copy. It may be important that you can prove your landlord was aware of the problem.

If you don't know who your landlord is, notify the letting agent. You have a legal right to know the landlord's name and address. If you don't know check all your documents about your tenancy or get advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau.

When you report the problem, your landlord should tell you who is responsible for the repair, what will be done and how long it will take.

In emergencies relating to gas you should call the Southern Gas Networks emergency line on 0800 111 999. You may have to call the supplier or emergency services. You should also tell the landlord too.

If the landlord ignores you or takes too long to respond you can report the problem to us. Call 01622 602440 to report it.

Common Problems

Damp and Mould

There are three causes of damp, each needs a different remedy.

  • Rising damp, which is dampness that comes from the ground
  • Dampness from the tenant not ventilating the property regularly
  • Dampness due to a leak

If your property has a damp problem first speak to your landlord. If they can’t help, you can call us on 01622 602440.

We will write to the landlord requesting a visit to the property. During the visit we will identify any repairs that are needed, and in some cases we may ask your landlord to carry out the repairs.

Smoke alarms

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Regulations 2015 require your landlord to fit:

  • A working smoke alarm on each floor of the property and
  • A carbon monoxide detector in any room with a solid fuel burning appliance. For example open fire places or log burning stoves

If you're a single family and renting a property with two floors or fewer, then battery powered alarms should be fine. Otherwise linked mains/battery powered alarms might be needed.

If your landlord fails to follow the regulations, we'll give them a notice. If after 28 days detectors haven't been fitted, we'll install them and they could be fined up to £5000.

For more information email us.

Electrical Safety

From 1st July 2020 landlords must provide the electrical installation condition report (carried out within the previous five years) for the property for any new prospective tenant.

From 1st April 2021 landlords must have provided existing tenants with a copy of the report. If the report requires further action this must be completed within 28 days. If the Council asks for a copy of the report it must be provided within 7 days. Failure to comply with the regulations could lead to further action and a fine of up to £30,000.

More information on electrical installation condition reports (EICR) and to find a competent person.

Read the full regulations on the legislation.