Houses in multiple occupation licences

If you own or manage a property you will need a licence if:

  • there are at least five or more people in the building, and
  • the occupants don't all belong to the same household or family
  • the occupants share a toilet, bathroom, kitchen or living room, or
  • there is a flat which does not have all of it's facilities (for example a kitchen or bathroom) behind the entrance door


Before you apply you will need copies of the:

You need to tell the following people that you have applied for a licence:

  • the freeholder
  • any leaseholders
  • any mortgagee
  • any tenant who has a tenancy for at least three years
  • the proposed licence holder (if that is not you)
  • the proposed managing agent (if that is not you)
  • any person who has agreed to be bound by a licence condition

Your application is not successful until we have fully processed and granted your licence. If your application is unsuccessful and you want to appeal you need to email us. If you need to renew your licence, you can find out more on our renewals page.


What happens next

Your application will be processed by our Housing Standards team within 10 working days.


The application fee is £740. For accredited landlords it’s £720. We will ask for payment when you fill out your application.


If you are planning to change the property or the management of the house, you must apply to vary your licence to keep it up to date.

You need to tell us if you change:

  • the number of people who can live in the property
  • the number of bedrooms
  • the number of facilities or amenities
  • the manager of the property
  • your management procedures or tenancy agreements

If you need to update your own, or the manager’s contact details, or you sell the property, please email the change to our team.


You need to renew your licence every five years and you need to do this at least one month before it is due to expire.

If the licence has expired or you have made significant changes, such as a change in the number of licensed bedrooms or licence holder then you will need to fill out a new application form instead of a renewal.

Standard and regulations

There is legislation in place for people managing the property. This is to make sure that landlords and managing agents ensure that the properties are safe and well managed.

Log book

We have produced a log book in order to assist landlords of HMOs meet their legal responsibilities. If you would like to request a copy please email us.