Standards in Private Housing

We regulate the private rented sector to ensure that accommodation provided contains no serious hazards under the Housing Health & Safety Rating System. We visit properties following requests for advice by tenants, complaints from members of the public or third parties to ensure that properties meet the minimum requirements e.g. heating, hot water, electrics.

Health and safety rating system inspection

If during a visit to your property a defect is identified you will be informed what the defect is and what action is needed to resolve it. In most cases landlords will carry out repairs in a reasonable time, however when this does not happen we can serve notices and in some cases carry out the work, charge the landlord for our costs or take forward a prosecution or fine.

Fire precautions in multi-occupied properties

Landlords and managers of multi-occupied residential buildings must ensure that they have an up-to-date Fire risk assessment. Make sure the recommendations of the assessment are completed and a copy is made available for the occupiers of the building. You can also email a copy to Housing Standards.

Following the Grenfell Tower Inquiry landlords and managers of multi-occupied residential buildings must ensure that they check the fire doors urgently and then them every 3 months.  Fire safety instructions must also be provided to the occupants.  To see the full report visit  the Grenfell Tower inquiry website.

If your property contains a gas appliance you need to obtain a gas safety certificate from a gas safe registered contractor. The certificate must be obtained every 12 months and given to your tenant within one month. You are also required to ensure that the electrical installation is kept in good order and any furniture or furnishing provided meets the required fire safety standards.

If you own a property occupied by more than one household, for example shared houses, converted flats and bedsits, the standards are greater and you are advised to contact us to make sure your property is up to the required standard. See our HMO pages for more information.

Gas safety

If a property contains a gas appliance the landlord must obtain a gas safety certificate from a gas safe registered contractor. The gas safety check must be carried out every 12 months and a copy of the certificate must be given to the tenant within one month.


Landlords must provide the electrical installation condition report (carried out within the previous five years) for the property to any new or prospective tenant. This regulation has been in place since 1 July 2020.

Landlords must provide their tenants with a copy of the report. If the report requires further action this must be completed within 28 days. If we ask for a copy of the report it must be provided within seven days. Failure to comply could lead to further action and a fine of up to £30,000. This regulation has been in place since 1 April 2021.

More information about the regulations can be found on GOV.UK. More information on electrical installation condition reports can be found on the Electrical Safety First website.

Energy Performance Certificates

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) must be provided to a tenant before they move in to the property.  To find if your property has a certificate please view the Energy Performance Certificate Register.

Since April 2019 properties with EPCs with a rating of F or G cannot be rented to a new tenant.  From April 2020 properties with a rating of F or G cannot be rented to a tenant.  For more information please visit here.


Landlords must follow certain eviction procedures set out by law to get possession of the property back. The Protection from Eviction Act 1977 it is a criminal offence to unlawfully evict or harass a tenant such as:

  • Threaten to or actually evict a residential occupier from their property without proper notice and a court order.
  • Harass a tenant by interfering with their ‘peace and comfort’ or withdraw or withhold services reasonably required for the tenant to occupy the property such as gas, electric or water.

For more information visit GOV.UK.