Alternative housing options

Older persons accommodation

Sheltered housing over 50s

Sheltered housing is available to anybody over 50 who wants to continue to live an independent life but would benefit from the support offered by an area warden.

Sheltered housing can provide support to those who require some assistance to their mobility or health problems and can include a lifeline service.

Sheltered housing is allocated to those on the Housing Register who have provided documents and information of their mobility or health issues and meet the age criteria, and includes a simple assessment carried out by staff.

Extra care housing

If you need additional support, there are several schemes in Maidstone that provide tenants with independent living in a communal scheme along with 24-hour care and support services.

To apply you’ll need to apply to the Housing Register.

For more information visit the Housing21 website.

Supported housing

Supported Housing is for people who need guidance and assistance with managing education, training, employment, and life management skills.

The following organisations provide much needed support to these specialist groups:

Lily Smith House

Low to medium supported housing for 16 to 65-year-olds. Self-referrals can be made. To find out more see the Riverside website.

O’Shea Partnership trading as Accommodation YES

Accommodation YES provides care for people with learning difficulties.

For further information please contact their offices on 01622 324500.

Sanctuary Housing

Sanctuary Housing provides support for a range of clients with specialist housing support needs, including housing for those with mental health problems.

Visit the Sanctuary Housing website for more information.

Mutual exchange

If you're an existing social housing tenant you may be able to mutually exchange with another existing tenant. This is where two or more tenant households swap their homes and tenancies.

There are a number of mutual exchange schemes in Kent.

Visit the Homeswapper for more information or take a look at the Exchange Locata.