Apply for Listed Building Consent

What LBC covers

Listing covers the whole building including the interior unless they have been specifically excluded from the listed entry by Historic England. Their list provides a description to identify the property. It does not include what is listed or significant. Modern listed entries are more detailed and can provide this information.

You will need LBC for any works that involves altering, extending, or demolishing your home where it affects its special architectural or historical interest. This includes both internal and external changes.

Listing usually covers:

  • any object or structure fixed to the building
  • any object or structure within the curtilage of the building which has formed part of the land since before 1 July 1948

Fittings and furnishings

Loose furnishings are not listed or protected but some items fixed to the building could be. Most modern fitted furniture will not be listed including:

  • kitchens
  • bathrooms
  • installed wardrobes

Older fittings may be included in listings. You might need consent to remove or change:

  • older cupboards
  • older light fittings
  • bookcases
  • other joinery


Modern decorations such as paint and wallpaper do not require consent but you may need it for invasive renovations. LBC is required if information around the evolution of the house could be lost or damaged.

You will need consent to:

  • strip paint back to bare wood
  • remove paint or stain from historic timber

If you are unsure, you should undertake a pre-application consultation.

When LBC is needed

The Planning (Listed Building and Conservation Area) Act 1990 states that:

"no person shall execute or cause to be executed any works for the demolition of a listed building or for its alteration or extension in any manner which would affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest, unless the works are authorised".

The Institute of Historic Building Conservation (IHBC) provides further advice and guidance.

Emergency works

Occasionally emergency works will need to be undertaken to prevent further damage or loss. This may include:

  • water leaks
  • flooding

Emergency works can be undertaken to make the building safe. You should tell us as soon as possible and we will help you take your next steps.  An LBC application must be made shortly after the work begins.

Pre-application advice

We offer pre-application advice. It can be given in written advice or with a site visit. It is helpful to us to have as much information up front as possible including the reason for your pre-application.

How to apply for LBC

To apply for consent you will need to submit a form with the required information to us. The easiest way to apply by using the form on the Planning Portal. You can refer to this guidance when you complete your application form.

Step 1: access the Planning Portal

Applying for LBC can be undertaken via the Planning Portal. You are also able to make a joint application.

Step 2: start an application

To apply you will need to:

  • create an account
  • start a new application - click the button in the top right-hand corner

Step 3: application name

You will be asked to name your application. This is usually the first line of the address you are applying for.

Step 4: property address

You must enter a postcode to enable you to select an address for the site. Properties could be listed by:

  • current name
  • historical name
  • number

Step 5: application type

Select the type of application form you want to use. You can find “Listed Building Consent” in the ‘other consents’ section. ‘Standard application’ should be pre-selected as the application category. You can select both options if you need planning permission and LBC.

Step 6: property boundary

You will be asked to provide a boundary for your property. The red line shows the proposed site. The blue line shows any extended ownership.

Step 7: application questions

The form will guide you through the questions. Some of these may not apply to you. Please provide as much information as possible.

Step 8: documents

You will need to submit the following:

  • site and location plans (can be purchased during the application process)
  • existing and proposed elevations (if undertaking external works) to scale
  • existing and proposed floor plans (if undertaking internal works) to scale
  • heritage statement

Documents can be uploaded as part of the online application or forwarded to the council in the post.

Step 9: fees

At the end of the form you will need to click to calculate the fee. LBC is free but there is a fee for planning applications. This will be reflected in the fee if you are making a joint application.

Step 10: submitting your application

You will be given a reference number beginning with PP. This confirms the application has been sent to the local authority.

Your application will be sent to our Validation Team. They will make sure the information is sufficient and correct. This includes:

  • site and location plans
  • elevation and floor plans
  • documents
  • drawing scales

It will then be passed to a Case Officer. You will receive confirmation of:

  • the name of the Case Officer
  • the council reference number – for example, 23/500000/LBC
  • confirmation of the date for determination

There is a statutory period of 8 weeks from validation to issuing of a decision. This allows for a period of public consultation. Consultation with statutory and non-statutory consultees will also take place. This could include:

  • Conservation Officer (MBC)
  • Landscape or Trees Officer (MBC)
  • Canal and River Trust
  • Environment Agency
  • The Gardens Trust (if dealing with a Registered Park & Garden, or a garden/ landscape of significance)
  • Historic England – where demolition is involved with a listed building, or works to a Grade I or Grade II* building
  • Natural England (in connection with Bat habitats, etc)
  • Parish councils
  • Kent County Council Archaeologist
  • SPAB
  • Georgian Group
  • Victorian Society
  • C20 Group
  • SAVE Britain’s Heritage

This ensures that the planning process is fair and open and allows the Case Officer to undertake an informed and balanced decision on the application. They will take written responses and national and local policy into account.

Some applications may take longer than 8 weeks. An extension of time will be requested by the Case Officer.

Further details on LBC and the planning process can be found on the Planning Portal website.

You can use a planning consultant if you need additional help or advice applying for LBC. The Planning Portal consultant guide may be useful. The Institute of Historic Building Conservation (IHBC) directory and the Royal Town Planning Institute directory are also available to help you find consultants.

There are guides for owners of listed buildings available from the IHBC and Historic England.

You can email to contact the Maidstone Conservation Officer.

For emergency works you can call the Building Control Department on 01622 602701

Please use 01622 602000 if your call is out of hours.