Drains and Water
Drains and Water
A drain is a pipe which carries waste water and sewage from just one property.
Cesspits and Septic Tanks
Private Water Supplies
A private water supply:
- is not provided by a water company like South East Water
- includes wells, springs, streams, boreholes, surface water features, and ponds
- may serve more than one property
Responsibility for costs
We are responsible for the registration, risk assessment, sampling and enforcement of private water supplies and private distribution systems. We make sure they are suitable for use and meet standards set by the Private Water Supplies (England) Regulations 2016 and Private Water Supplies (England) (Amendment) Regulations 2018.
We cover costs for work carried out by private water supplies. This includes any work needed to assess or take samples.
Example of costs
The following examples are based on a rate of £79 per hour:
- on average a risk assessment takes 6 hours: £79 × 6 = £474
- on average a sample visit takes 3 hours: £79 × 3 = £237
Costs for the analysis of samples will be additional to hourly rates. These costs are dependent on the number of samples taken and the analysis required.
Private distribution system
Mains water is supplied to a site or property and distributed to other buildings not owned by that organisation or person. Residents should pay the landlord directly instead of the water company.
If you think your home or business is served by a private water supply or a private distribution system, you can contact us:
- call 01622 602460 or 01622 602450
- email email@example.com
Mains Water Supplies
Information and advice
In your email, you should include:
- your address
- your contact details
- the address of the property the water supply serves