MAIDSTONE BOROUGH COUNCIL
Heritage, Culture and Leisure Committee
Minutes of the meeting held on Monday 10 August 2015
Councillor Newton (Chairman), and
Councillors Ash, Ells, Fissenden, Fort, Hemsley, Mrs Hinder, Newton, Paterson and Pickett
Councillors Naghi, Round and Sargeant
20. Apologies for Absence
There were no apologies for absence.
21. Notification of Substitute Members
There were no Substitute Members.
22. Urgent Items
There were no urgent items.
23. Notification of Visiting Members
It was noted that Councillors Naghi, Round and Sargeant were in attendance as observers, and reserved the right to speak on item 11 – Disposal of Land at Parkwood Parade.
24. Disclosures by Members and Officers
There were no disclosures by Members or Officers.
25. Disclosures of Lobbying
The Chairman advised the Committee that he had been lobbied with regard to item 11 – Disposal of Land at Parkwood Parade.
26. To consider whether any items should be taken in private because of the possible disclosure of exempt information
RESOLVED: That all items on the agenda be taken in public as proposed.
27. Minutes of the meeting held on 13 July 2015
The Democratic Services Officer explained that the duration of meeting had not been included on the draft minutes. The Chairman agreed for this to be added.
RESOLVED: That the minutes of the Meeting held on 13 July 2015 be approved as a correct record and signed.
28. Presentation of Petitions (if any)
There were no Petitions.
29. Questions and answer session for members of the public
There were no questions from members of the Public.
30. Disposal of land at Parkwood Parade
The Parks and Open Spaces Manager, Jason Taylor, introduced the report on the disposal of land at Parkwood Parade, and informed the Committee that if the grass verges marked on the plan were declared surplus, this decision would be advertised for two weeks, and residents would have four weeks to respond.
Members were in agreement that the trees situated on the grass verges should be retained and protected.
1. That the open space land outlined in red on the plan attached as appendix I to the agenda dated 10 August 2015 be declared surplus;
2. That the placing of a Public Notice pursuant of Section 123 of the Local Government Act 1972 be authorised;
3. That the matter be referred to the Policy and Resources Committee for a final decision concerning disposal of the land; and
4. That the report to Policy and Resources Committee include a recommendation to retain the trees on the grass verges.
For: 9 Against: 0 Abstain: 0
31. Duration of Meeting
6.33 p.m. to 6.48 p.m.