Issue - meetings
MTFS and Budget Proposals
- Enc. 1 for MTFS and Budget Proposals, item 125 PDF 77 KB View as HTML (125/2) 10 KB
- Enc. 2 for MTFS and Budget Proposals, item 125 PDF 73 KB View as HTML (125/3) 10 KB
- Enc. 3 for MTFS and Budget Proposals, item 125 PDF 72 KB View as HTML (125/4) 10 KB
- Enc. 4 for MTFS and Budget Proposals, item 125 PDF 67 KB View as HTML (125/5) 10 KB
The Director of Finance and Business Improvement introduced the report that built upon the Medium-Term Financial Strategy that was presented to the Committee on 16 December 2020. As a result of the Local Government Finance Settlement and Chancellor’s Spending Review, the Council’s budget gap had been reduced from £2.4 million to £1.6million, however significant challenges remained.
The various sources of government funding to mitigate the effects of Covid-19 were noted, however these would likely be one-off payments. The budget proposals outlined would close the budget gap over the next three years, with those within the Committee’s remit amounting to £795,000. These included the Council’s office accommodation as the lease was coming to an end, changes to staff travel allowances and a review of the structure of democratic representation.
In response to questions, the Director of Finance and Business Improvement explained that the £860,000 Government funding was not ringfenced and intended to assist the Council in coping with the pressures arising from Covid-19 and would be a one-off payment. The use of the funding would be reported to the Committee on a quarterly basis, with the option of expanding its use for recovery purposes to be examined at a later date if appropriate. The intention to use the £139,000 Local Tax Support Grant in lieu of New Homes Bonus was reiterated.
Further information on the Business Rates Retention Schemes that were paused in the Summer of 2020 would be presented to the Committee’s next meeting.
The Committee expressed their thanks to the officers involved for the work undertaken.
1. The revenue budget proposals for services within the remit of the Committee, as set out in Appendix A to the report, be agreed; and
2. The revenue budget proposals for services within the remit of the other Service Committees, as set out in Appendix B to the report, be agreed.
Note: Councillors Brice and English left the meeting during this item.