Housing Information for Landlords

Landlord accreditation scheme

This scheme is an education programme to teach landlords how to manage and let properties.

The scheme is voluntary and is open to all landlords or prospective landlords.

Landlords who comply with the standards of the scheme are accredited and are recognised as such across Kent and London.

To find out more or to check the next available course dates visit the London Landlords website.

Landlord forum

We work with the National Residential Landlords Association who run a Landlord Forum to support and engage private sector landlords in the borough.

Landlord associations

Landlord associations provide support and advice to private landlords.

For further information see:

Smoke alarm information

The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Regulations 2015 require you to fit:

  • A working smoke alarm on each floor of your rented properties and
  • A carbon monoxide detector in any room with solid fuel burning appliances. For example open fire places or log burning stoves.

Battery powered alarms should be fine for single families in properties with two or fewer floors. Otherwise you'd need to use linked mains/battery powered alarms.

If you fail to follow the regulations, we'll give you a notice. If after 28 days you still haven't followed the regulations, we'll fit the alarms. You could be issued with a fixed penalty notice of up to £4000.

Get more smoke alarm information on GOV.UK or email us.

Energy efficiency

From 1st April 2020 landlords have to ensure their rental properties meet the Domestic Minimum Energy Efficiency Standard (MEES).

The regulations mean that all landlords in England and Wales will be required to improve the energy efficiency rating of their domestic properties to “E” or higher before 1 April 2020.

Regulations came into effect in April 2018 setting a minimum energy efficiency level for private rented properties; those in England and Wales must be rated “E” or higher to be privately let and those with ratings “F” and “G” must not be let to a new tenant. This rating is found on a valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC).

An Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) can only be issued by a qualified Domestic Energy Assessor and each certificate is logged and accessible on a national register.

More information on the regulation can be found on GOV.UK.

Landlords wishing to check on their properties energy efficiency rating should visit the EPC register website.

    The legislation states that there should be no upfront costs for the landlords. In Kent, the Warm Homes Scheme provides heavily subsidised loft and cavity wall insulation for domestic properties that is funded by Energy Company Obligation (ECO) funds. You may also find some energy companies will fully or partly fund energy efficiency works.

    You can read the full regulations on the legislation website.

    Electrical Safety

    From 1st April 2021 landlords must provide their tenants (or their prospective tenant) with a copy of the electrical installation condition report (carried out since 1st January 2019 or under the 18th edition of the IET wiring regulations). If the report requires further action (code 1, 2 or FI on the report) this must be completed within 28 days and notification sent to us and the tenant. If we ask for a copy of the report it must be provided within 7 days. Failure to comply with the regulations could lead to further action and a fine of up to £30,000.

    More information on electrical installation condition reports (EICR) and to find a competent person.

    Read the full regulations on the legislation.