BETA We're updating this service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Apply for building regulations

Before you apply for building regulations we advise you to check that you need them first. There are different types of applications depending on the type of project:

  • full plans
  • building notice
  • regularisation
  • demolitions

Approval with full plans

These are used for most developments. The application will be granted if the plans comply with the building regulations. This means agreeing your design before you start work. You will need to send us all the information including your plans, calculations and specifications which must include details of drainage provision and sewer locations.


Before you apply we will need:

  • the address of the works
  • what type of works you are carrying out
  • documents including location plan, existing/proposed floor plans, structural details, photographs of works being carried out and any certificates

Apply for full plans

What happens next

We aim to look at your application within 10 working days and a decision will be made within five weeks, unless it is agreed this can be extended.

A decision will then be issued within five weeks of receipt of the application unless you agree to the period being extended. The application will then be granted, granted subject to further information being submitted or rejected. If your plans are refused you will not be charged to resubmit your plans. You can start work before a decision is made but it will be at your own risk.

Building notice

A building notice can be an alternative when the proposed work is not major and meets the relevant requirements of Regulation 12. The main difference between the two is that a building notice does not need detailed plans to be submitted. Although further details may be necessary to ensure compliance and satisfactory completion. If the requested information is not provided it may delay the issue of a completion certificate

A building notice should be used for uncomplicated projects as the disadvantage to using this is that no plan approval is given for the proposals. The notice is merely accepted. Some financial institutions may need you to have a decision notice as proof to release funds. If you choose a building notice, make sure you have agreed what the builder will build and what is being included in the price. It puts more responsibility on you and your builder to ensure the work complies with the Building Regulations.


Before you apply we will need:

  • the address of the works
  • what type of works you are carrying out
  • a scaled location plan clearly showing boundaries and siting of proposed building works

Apply for a building notice

What happens next

Your application will be deemed as accepted within two working days however, you may be notified that further information is required.

Electrical works

A building notice will also be required where electrical works are being carried out by an installer who is not a Part P certified electrician. Part P qualified electricians can self-certify their own work and are part of the government’s competent persons scheme. If your electrician is not Part P registered, we will consult our consultant electrician to inspect and certify the work carried out.


This is used if work has already started or has been completed without submission of a valid application. If you do not get permission before you start work, you will need to apply for it after the work has been done. This form of application cannot be submitted for building work carried out before 11 November 1985

This application will also be required if electrical work has been carried out and a Part P Building Regulation Compliance Certificate has not been received within the required time period.


Before you apply we will need:

  • the address of the works
  • what type of works were carried out and when
  • any supporting documents including photographs which may show the work carried out

Apply for a regularisation certificate

What happens next

Once we receive your application we will send an acknowledgement with a reference number. You must then contact us to arrange a suitable date to carry out a site inspection

The surveyor will check the work and decide if it can be certified or not. We may need to check parts of the building work including foundations, floors and roofs.

You may have to make alterations to show that the work complies. If work meets requirements you will receive a regularisation certificate.


This is used for knocking down a building. If you need to knock down a building exceeding 1750 cubic feet you need to give us notice. You must wait to receive a counter notice from us before starting any work.


Before you apply we will need:

  • the address of the works
  • the details of the contractor doing the works
  • the planned date of the demolition
  • details of whom you have notified, for example gas and power networks
  • documents including location plan and photographs of works

Apply for a demolition

What happens next

We will usually issue a counter notice within five working days. We will send you a counter notice which will specify what you need to do before and during the demolition. Copies of the counter notice may be sent to other government teams, utilities, Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and neighbouring properties.


Our fees vary depending on the type of work being carried out.