Caravans and camp sites

Before applying

If you're thinking about running a camping and/or caravan site, you might need a licence.

You won’t need one if:

  • You have forestry or seasonal workers, builders, travelling showmen staying on site
  • The site is five or more acres in size, there are between one and three caravans there for up to 28 days a year
  • You’re a member of a caravan club and have an exemption certificate
  • Your site is approved by an organisation with a caravan exemption certificate
  • Members of an exempted organisation stay in their caravans on the site
  • Your site is used for a social get together of caravan club members

Before applying for a licence you'll need to apply for planning permission. For more information about planning visit our Planning for Business pages.

The licensing of camping and caravan sites is regulated under the Mobile Homes Act 1983 and the Mobile Homes Act 2013. For more information and guidance visit the website.

Apply for a licence

Before making an application read the guidance on the website.

Apply for a caravan or camp site licence

Make changes to my licence

If a site changes hands/is sold to someone else, the new owner can have the current licence transferred over to them by using our online application form.

Change my licence

Site rules

When coming up with site rules, the owners will need to consult with residents about their proposals, by putting up a proposal notice.

Residents can have their say by speaking to the owners or by completing a consultation response form.

After the rules have been agreed by the owner and residents of the site, a copy of the notification of deposit form will need to be emailed to the Community Protection Team or sent to:

Community Protection
Maidstone House
King Street
ME15 6JQ

Changes to site rules, will need to be consulted on in the same way and a copy of the notification of deposit of deletion notice form emailed to Community Protection Team.