Council Tax energy rebate
New discretionary applications
If you are suffering hardship, struggling to pay your energy bill, have not already received a £150 payment towards your energy costs since 1 April 2022, you may be able to apply for a payment.
The following circumstances will be considered:
- living in a band E - H property, facing financial hardship and not in receipt of Council Tax Support or a disabled banding
- you moved to a band A - D property after 1 April 2022 from a higher banded property and did not receive an energy rebate payment through your Council Tax account
- you have moved into a band A - D property after 1 April 2022 and were not previously liable to pay Council Tax in 2021/2022 in the UK
- you are not listed as the liable person for Council Tax, living in shared accommodation, and paying your own energy bills. Evidence will need to be supplied
You will need to upload your latest full bank statement for yourself and your partner (if applicable), showing income and expenditure to establish financial hardship. Further information may be requested and you may be asked to complete an income and expenditure form.
Please note: do not complete this application form for a refund of your energy rebate payment which has been credited to your Council Tax account. You will be sent notification of a refund if applicable.
Payments for the scheme will start in September.
We will be awarding discretionary energy rebate payments to the following groups:
- £30 to those in bands A – D that are on Council Tax Support
- £150 to those in bands E – H that are on Council Tax Support
- £150 to those in bands F – H that have a disabled banding and no Council Tax Support has been paid
For the above payments to be paid you must have been resident in your property on 1 April 2022 as your sole or main residence
If you are in one of these groups, and we hold bank details that automatically match our records, we will make a payment into your bank account. Where the details do not match or you do not pay by Direct Debit, the payments will be credited to your Council Tax account.
Fuel rebate scheme
The application process has now closed.
If you are eligible to receive this rebate but have not completed an application form, the £150 will be credited to your Council Tax account and will reduce the next instalment you're due to pay.