Our service

It's a legal need for building work to meet the Building Regulations (2010). We check work to make sure it complies with the Building Regulations and other legislation. Work that needs to be checked includes:

  • extensions
  • conversions (loft, garage)
  • internal alterations
  • basements
  • new buildings

Building control is different to planning permission and you might need both for your project. There are two main types of building control application: full plan and building notice. There is also a regularisation application for when work has already been completed. Find out more about each application type.

You may be fined, prosecuted or need to pay to get work re-done if we find work which doesn’t comply or if you carry out works without getting approval.

Will I need building control?

It depends on the project but for most major construction projects in your home, such as extensions and conversions, you'll need to make an application so we can visit the site and check your work is compliant.

Find more information about when you need building control on the LABC Website.