Find out if you need planning permission

You may need planning permission depending on what the development is going to be.

Permitted developments

Minor works can usually be carried out as a permitted development, which means a planning application is not needed. However if what you want to do is not a permitted development you may need to apply for permission.

The most common types of planning permission are:

  • loft conversions
  • porches
  • conservatories
  • changing the use of a building or land
  • displaying or changing an advertisement

Planning portal

The planning portal has guidance on the most common types of projects and also has an interactive guide to help you see if you need to apply for permission. We also recommend using our pre application advice service.

Existing works

if you want to confirm whether existing works needed planning permission you can apply for a lawful development certificate.