Crisis Support

The Ombudsman

If you need a hand making a complaint to a business, the Financial Ombudsman can help for free.

How do I make a complaint
Let the business know you're not happy with the situation, in writing if possible. If you need help contacting the company, or making sure your complaint is taken seriously, have a look at the Financial Ombudsman Website.

Allow the business eight weeks to investigate.

If you're not happy with the response, or you haven't had a response, let the Ombudsman know and they will look into it for you.

What businesses do they cover?

  • Banking
  • Insurance
  • Mortgages
  • Credit cards and store cards
  • Loans, including payday loans
  • Credit and debt collection
  • Pensions
  • Savings and investments
  • Hire purchase and pawnbroking
  • Money transfers
  • Financial advice
  • Stocks, shares, unit trusts and bonds

Is there a deadline for asking for help?

Yes. You need to contact them within six months of the date of the business' response to your complaint.

They might not be able to help you if;

  • What you're complaining about happened more than six years ago
  • You complain more than three years after you realise (or should have realised) that there's a problem

How can I contact the Ombudsman?

Professionals can call: 020 7964 1400 (9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday) or email:

Residents can call 0300 123 9123 or 0800 023 4567 (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday and 9am to 1pm on Saturdays) or email us.


There's more help available for Vulnerable People, Domestic Abuse Victims, and people looking for private renting.

If you need help regarding housing within the borough, we have dedicated teams who can help;

Private Sector Housing Team

If you're a homeowner or privately rent and need help repairing your home due to hazards, visit the Help for Homeowners and Private Tenants pages.

If you're having trouble with your landlord and the state of your property, have a look at our Housing Conditions pages.

Housing Options

If you need help with social housing, have a look at our Housing Register pages. Once you are on the register, you can get help with looking for a property on the Kent Homechoice website.

The Citizens Advice Bureau can provide help with tenancy agreements.

Energy Bills

For help finding cheaper energy bills, the Big Maidstone Switch may be able to help. You'll need your most recent bill so you can enter the correct amount.


Scams are schemes to con you out of your money. They can arrive by post, phone call, text message or email or from someone coming to your home.

There are dedicated websites that detail how to report a scam, and where possible how to get your money back.

There is information on the Citizens Advice Website.

Think Jessica is focused on scams and how to report them.

Maidstone Community Wardens can train front line staff on how to recognise scams, and can further this support when you are faced with a client who has been a victim of this. You can contact them directly for help.


The Kent Support and Assistance Service (KSAS) is provided by Kent County Council.

They are there to support you if you are having difficulties managing your income, or if you are facing pressure because of an emergency. They offer help for a short time, only if you have no other means of support.

They can only take your application if you are currently living in, or planning to move to Kent. If you pay Council Tax to Medway Council, you will need to call them on 0800 772 0525.

Domestic Violence

Domestic Abuse can be violence or the threat of violence, or verbal, physical or psychological abuse.

For details on who to contact for help and our sanctuary scheme, please have a look at our Domestic Violence page.

Please visit our website for further information on domestic abuse

The North Kent Women's Aid organise a One-Stop-Shop for Domestic Violence in Maidstone. To find out more details, please visit the support services for Kent and Medway website.

If you need to open a new bank account, please have a look at our Money Management pages.

Debt Advice

There are a lot of ways to help people get control of their finances. These organisations can help:

Have a look at the Hold Your Hand information on our Money Management pages for guidance through processes.

If you have difficulty paying your Southern Water bill, visit the Southern Water website for information on how their four help schemes may be able to help.

Power Of Attorney

Lasting Power of Attorney is a legal document that lets you (the 'donor') appoint people (the 'attorney') to make decisions on your behalf.

It can be used if you become unable to make your own decisions.

There are two types of Power of Attorney;

Health and Welfare

This can only be used when you're unable to make your own decisions.

Property and Financial Affairs

This can be used as soon as it is registered, with your permission.

You can choose to have either or both types of Power of Attorney. There is more information on the GOV.UK website.

Report a concern

If you have any concerns about an attorney, deputy or decision they've made for someone, you should contact the Office of the Public Guardian.

They can help if there is a registered Lasting Power of Attorney, Enduring Power of Attorney or a court order.

If one of these isn't in place, you may need to contact;

  • The Department for Work and Pensions for concerns about benefits
  • Local adult social services for concerns about care of safeguarding
  • Local police if you think someone is not in immediate danger, but the attorney has committed a criminal offence.

Mental Capacity Act

The code of practice gives guidance to people who;

  • Work with people who can't make decision for themselves
  • Care for people who can't make decisions for themselves

It says what you must do when you make decisions for someone who can't make them for themselves.

Get money from the Courts when you recover mental capacity
You'll be able to access the money in your court funds account if the Court of Protection decide that you've fully recovered your mental capacity and can manage your finances.

Kent County Council has information and assessment forms on Kent County Council's website.